Five very diverse teams have been selected to take part in Stage 2....
We are delighted to announce the shortlisted teams this competition to find designers for the new Smithfield market in Birmingham:
- 5th Studio with John O'Mara Architects; Counterculture; New Economic Foundation; The Planning Lab; Donald Hyslop; EMF Landscape and Arup
- ACME and b720 Fermín Vázquez arquitectos with James Corner Field Operations; onedotzero; AKTII; ECF Farmsystems; Gleeds and dn&co
- David Kohn Architects with Céline Condorelli; Eastside Projects; Mark El-khatib; Ania Bas; Charcoalblue; Todd Longstaffe-Gowan; Price & Myers; Max Fordham
- Moreau Kusunoki with McGregor Coxall and Arup
- Publica Associates Ltd with Alejandro Echeverri; Shigeru Ban Architects; Waugh Thistleton Architects; AKT II; Doshi Levien and Nigel Dunnett
Our Jury Panel, comprising representatives from Lendlease and Birmingham City Council - aided by our independent architectural adviser, Amanda Levete of AL_A - had a stimulating day reviewing and discussing the 75 Stage 1 submissions.
Teams from across the world offered their services: UK, Australia, France, Netherlands, Scandinavia, Singapore, Spain and the USA.
With so many amazing and intriguing responses to the challenge, and only five places in the shortlist, many excellent teams did not make the cut, which is always the saddest thing about running a competition.
Massive thanks are due to everyone who participated.
Stage 2 will include a charrette with local stakeholders as well as an interview with the Jury Panel. To find out more, visit the competition webpage.