Competition to find an architect-led team to undertake the masterplanning of a number of important sites on the Hills Road side of Cambridge Biomedical Campus.
Announcing the winner
We are delighted to announce that Allies and Morrison has won this competition, which attracted a stellar list of competitors from across the globe.
We wish the University and their winning team much success in delivering this complex but exciting project.
About the competition
This competition was run in accordance with OJEU legislation, using the restricted procedure. All information, including the submissions requirements and programme, were accessed via the University’s INTEND portal.
It is intended that the masterplanning study will establish a framework within which the University can subsequently develop world-class accommodation for the School of Clinical Medicine, including teaching, research and administration facilities. It is the aspiration that the research accommodation will include new facilities for the University’s Institute of Public Health and also a state-of-the-art neurosciences hub.
The masterplan will be expected to deliver the following objectives:
- Providing a high-quality environment for researchers, students, patients and visitors, with new amenities and better public realm
- Improving the arrival experience for staff, patients and visitors, taking into account travel and transport requirements, access and circulation
- Enhanced connectivity on the campus
- Bringing forward sustainable development, with particular emphasis on achieving site energy infrastructure including, where possible, renewable energy technologies, and in the expectation that development at the sites will achieve a minimum rating of BREEAM excellent
- Optimisation of the development capacity of the identified sites
"The University has appointed Colander to assist in the architectural appointment process for a number of important, complex projects and have found the company to be extremely professional and proficient. Colander has the proven skills and the ability to secure interest from high quality architects on both a national and international basis, which have proved invaluable. I greatly value the services of Colander and would have no hesitation in employing them in the future."
— Roger Taylor, Director of Estates, University of Cambridge